Saturday, May 3, 2014

Coconut Hair -- Coconut Oil Moisture Treatment



 
Hey Fashionistas!! We are all dying to have beautiful, healthy hair right? Hair can feel brittle with the dry air, sun and the continuous use of heating tools can do some serious heat damage to our lovely locks!
 
I have a cure; a secret that I stumbled on a few years ago and have been loving ever since!

I have been using coconut oil in my personal skin care since I was 16 and let me tell you how GREAT it is for your hair as well!
 
  



 
 

A few years back in a desperate search to find a cure for my brittle hair, I came across a few articles recommending coconut oil as a moisture treatment. As I dug deeper I found that coconut oil is the oil our hair can absorb better than any other. Coconut oil is meant to be used as a “Pre-Washing” Moisture Treatment. I will walk you through the simple steps for giving your hair that pure moisture it is thirsting for! All you need is: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, a Clip or Elastic, a Shower and a Cap Hair Dryer (optional).
Scoop out a handful of organic virgin coconut oil. The amount will depend on the thickness of your hair and how long it is.  The important thing about this treatment is to do it with your hair dry.  It cannot be wet since it will repel the oil and your hair wont absorb any. I tend to do it once every 2 weeks or so right the day before I intend to wash my hair, or if I have time during the same day I intend to wash my hair. 
 
 Once you have that scoop The oil will begin to melt at the touch of your skin, there is no need to heat the oil before application. It will melt as you massage it into your hair.  They way i do it is I divide my hair into sections and start from the bottom up, to take sections of my hair and apply the coconut oil.  Saturate your hair completely, focusing on areas that are dry.  Once all you hair is full of this amazing oil, comb through to make sure you cover every inch and strand.
 


 
 
  Once your hair is soaked with oil, twist your hair into a bun, braid or ponytail. If you decide to do it the night before you can make a braid and sleep it off, and simply wash your hair the next morning.  However, if you do it on the day you intend to wash your hair you can clip it in place by grabbing some hair from your scalp and part of the bun, or use a hair tie to keep it in place.
 
   If you have the time to do this you can cover your hair with a shower cap. and if you wish choose to apply heat or not. Applying heat will open the cuticle of each strand so the coconut oil can penetrate the core faster. Leave the coconut oil on your hair for at least 30 minutes without heat, or 15 minutes with heat. You can use a hair dryer to apply heat over the shower cap. I like to rig a little system so I can sit on the floor and read or play with my kids! If I am busy and need to do other things I will leave the oil on my hair without heat.
   Once your time is up wash and condition your hair as you normally would. You may need to wash your hair twice to rinse away all of the oil. I really focus on my roots and try to shampoo my ends as little as needed. Style your hair and be amazed at your soft, smooth hair!
 
Please Share with me any tips and trick about healthy hair and the use f coconut oil.  If you have your own routine please share it with the res of us fashionistas.
 
Happy Styling & Happy Hair!!
    
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY M+K PROJECTS